Hey I'm Jessi, welcome to my website. This is the place where I collect all the creative work that I've done in the past, and post updates on what I’m currently working on. Here's how to get started:
- I make music, obviously. I've one solo album Villainess, my next album is coming soon!
- I used to be a singer in an industrial metal band Velcra. I've collected all our music and videos in here.
- I was signed to Virgin Records with Velcra, and now I'm 100% independent. I had a great time as a major label artist, but now I absolutely love being an artist-entrepreneur.
- I am born Finnish, but I've lived in the UK for a long time. I currently live in Bristol. I've also lived in Dominican Republic in the past.
- You can find me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube.
- If you want to get updates quickly, please subscribe to my email list. I send emails a few times a month and my subscribers will get everything FIRST before I post anything on social media.
First known as the front woman of the Finnish industrial metal band Velcra, Jessi Frey combined the hard with the soft in both her vocals and her songwriting. Her vocals were praised for effortlessly flipping between powerful screams and soft melodies.
Velcra was signed to Virgin Records after releasing just one demo. All of their three albums entered the Finnish top-40 charts and the band was nominated as the best newcomer in Emma Gaala, also known as "the Finnish Grammy’s”. Velcra toured across Europe with bands such as Guano Apes, OOMPH! and Suburban Tribe, before disbanding at the end of 2008.
Jessi released her first solo album "Villainess" which saw her moving from metal to dark, 80’s inspired synth pop. Villainess was released in August 2019 and it hit #7 in the official physical sales charts in Finland.
The upcoming second album sees Jessi moving back to a heavier sound, blending elements from Velcra's sound and her first solo. She drew inspiration from classic industrial bands such as Nine Inch Nails, KMFDM and Skinny Puppy as well as the contemporary soundso of the cyberpunk and dark synth scenes.
"No filler tracks, no side steps, no dead moments. This is a five star album that will be a landmark for dark synthpop from now on" ***** - desibeli.net